The International Peace Support Training Centre (IPSTC) in collaboration with the GIZ support to the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC) and Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF), Germany, will convene a virtual seminar on ‘African Agency in Peace Operations, Peacebuilding and Maritime Security’ on 27 January 2021. The seminar will provide a platform for practitioners and scholars to discuss the progress, limits and opportunities for African agency in matters of peace and security particularly on issues relating to peace operations and maritime security.
When: 27 January 2021, 10:00 – 13:00 o'clock GMT
Where: Webinar (Online) | Event Registration
Program and Topics
Peace Operations: A multi-agency approach | 10:15am – 10:55am GMT
- The Politics of Interventions within the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA) by Dr. Christian Ani
- Power imbalances and peace building: a participatory approach between local and international actors by Samantha Ruppel, Researcher, Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF)
Maritime Security | 10:55 – 11:45am GMT
- Maritime security off the coasts of the Eastern and Western African region by Dr. Dirk Siebels
- Assessing Maritime Security Coordination Mechanism for Kenya’s Blue Economy by Kioi James Mbugua, Applied Researcher at IPSTC
Countering Violent Extremism | 11:45 – 12:25pm GMT
- Influence of Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism Measures on Youth Resilience: A Case of Mombasa County, Kenya by Major Saidi Mwachinalo, Applied Researcher at IPSTC
- Rehabilitation and reintegration of the returnees in the Horn of Africa by Prof. Samuel Nyanchoga, Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, The Catholic University of Eastern Africa
Open Discussion | 12:25pm – 12:45pm GMT
- What does a Joe Biden Presidency mean for the above?
- How has COVID-19 affected Africa Agency in Peace Operations?
- moderated by: Dr. Michael Sitawa, Applied Researcher (IPSTC)
Closing | 12:45pm – 13:00pm GMT