Whereas the Executive Board of the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF) is responsible for managing the institute, the Board of Trustees supervises the management of the institute and approves the budget. The Scientific Advisory Board supports PRIF in the design and implementation of the institute's research programs. The Research Council is a body that includes all of PRIF's scholars. Together with the Executive Board it decides on the research program and on the research projects conducted at PRIF.
- International Security: Research department I addresses international security policy, particularly states’ capabilities for military violence and how they can be controlled and limited.
- International Institutions: Research department II focusses on the institutional conditions of peace and especially the relationship between institutional characteristics of international organizations and regimes and the establishment of sustainable peace.
- Transnational Actors: Research department III studies the transnational dimension of conflict and peace, focusing on activities of non-state actors and how transnational phenomena impact peace and security.
- Intrastate Conflict: Research department IV examines peace and conflict at the intrastate level. Its particular concern is with the organization and transformation of political rule and the international dimension of intrastate conflicts.
- Glocal Junctions: Research department V studies conflict and peace processes in glocal situations and the entanglements of local, regional, and global life-worlds and action constellations.