PRIF cooperates with researchers and research institutions worldwide and is constantly working to expand its international outreach in terms of international research collaborations, policy consulting and international funding structures. Cooperative research projects and programs, research stays of PRIF’s scientists abroad and invitations to international researchers are central instruments of this strategy.
In order to strengthen international networks and scientific exchange, PRIF maintains an in-house visiting professors program. At the same time, PRIF promotes international networks by supporting international research stays of its staff, the participation in international conferences and by organizing international workshops and events. Internationalization is also pursued in the promotion of young researchers as all academic vacancies are advertised internationally in order to specifically recruit international doctoral candidates.
International networks and cooperation:
- In context of the "EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Consortium" PRIF cooperates with the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the London International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), the Paris Foundation Pour La Recherce Stratégique (FRS), the Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation (VCDNP) and the Instituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) in Rome. Founded in 2011, the consortium aims at establishing networks and expanding European expertise on issues of the control of conventional and unconventional weapons. PRIF coordinates, among other things, the consortium's internship program as well as the e-learning course on non-proliferation, disarmament and EU policies.
- Since 2013, PRIF has been a member of the “OSCE Network of Think Tanks and Academic Institutions”. The network aims to improve the exchange between research institutes and the OSCE, to develop and implement joint research projects and to increase the general level of information on the work of the OSCE.
- PRIF participates in the Jean Monnet Network "PACO - Interparliamentary Cooperation in the EU's External Action - Parliamentary Scrutiny and Diplomacy in the EU and Beyond". PACO brings together researchers from seven European research institutions which are dealing with the role of parliaments in EU external relations and supports their cooperation in research, teaching and training. PACO is funded by the EU Commission.
- Within the framework of the "International Consortium on Closing Civic Space" (iCon), founded in 2016, researchers at PRIF work with international colleagues on the issue of "Closing Space", i.e. on the increasing restrictions on the civil society in several countries. The consortium is funded by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIs) (Washington, D.C.) and aims at developing practice-oriented responses to the closing space problem.
- In order to support the Colombian peace process in the areas of research, teaching and exchange, PRIF has been involved in the establishment of a German-Colombian Peace Institute (Instituto Colombo-Alemán para la paz (CAPAZ)) in Bogotá, which is supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) with funds from the Federal Foreign Office.
- Since 2017, PRIF has been an observing member of the Euro-Mediterranean Study Commission (EuroMeSCo) which analyzes the relations between members of the European Union and states of the Mediterranean region in several thematic regards. EuroMeSCo was founded in 1996 with the goal of promoting research, information exchange and social relations among its members and at the same time serving as a confidence-building measure in the Barcelona-Process.