The Research Department I “International Security” is seeking to employ at the earliest possible date
a postdoctoral researcher (m/f/d)
in full time (100%), salary scale E 13 TV-H,
on a temporary basis until March 31, 2026
(under the terms of the WissZVG).
The position is part of the joint research project “The CBW network for a comprehensive reinforcement of norms against chemical and biological weapons (CBWNet). This project is funded by the Federal Ministry of Research and Education and is carried out jointly by PRIF with the Berlin Office of the Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy (IFSH), the Chair for Public Law and International Law at the University of Gießen, and the Carl Friedrich von Weizsäcker-Centre for Science and Peace Research (ZNF) at the University of Hamburg. The joint project aims to analyse, from an interdisciplinary perspective, the norms and norm contestations in the prohibition regimes for biological and chemical weapons, and to investigate options to strengthen these regimes.
Your responsibilities include:
- Theoretical and empirical research on the prohibition of biological and/or chemical weapons in the framework of the joint research project CBWNet, with a particular focus on compliance with and enforcement of the related norms;
- Publications for the joint research project and the Research Department;
- Cooperation with project partners and contributions to other sub-projects in the framework of CBWNet;
- Support for the local, national and international networking activities of CBWNet and PRIF.
In addition, we expect a willingness to cooperate in an interdisciplinary context and to communicate research results to the political and general public. We also expect participation in the committees and overall work contexts of PRIF.
As applicant, you should fulfill the following requirements:
- A very good doctorate in political science or another discipline pertinent to the research field;
- Research interests in arms control, non-proliferation and disarmament (knowledge of biological and/or chemical weapons control is an advantage);
- Research interests in international relations, ideally related to norm dynamics;
- Willingness to work and cooperate in project teams and in an interdisciplinary setting;
- Good knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods is an advantage.
Very good command of English, spoken and written, as well as competent handling of standard office software are prerequisites.
You can expect:
- Family-friendly working hours and the possibility to partially work remotely;
- An interesting and varied workplace;
- A motivated and committed team;
- An interdisciplinary and international project setting;
- Internal and external training opportunities;
- Teaching opportunities;
- Occupational pension scheme („VBL”);
- A central location in downtown Frankfurt conveniently accessible by public transport.
PRIF is a winner of the Total E-Quality award and seeks to promote work/life balance.
In the case of equal qualification, applicants with severe disabilities will be given preference.
Please send your application documents, including a complete CV (without photo), certificates, references, and a concise outline of your research ideas, in pdf format via e-mail to bewerber(at)hsfk.de. Please include the position code “CBWNet”. The deadline for applications is November 20, 2022. Unfortunately, application expenses cannot be reimbursed.