PostDoc (m/f/d) (100%) in salary scale E 13 TV-H, for three years
Our Research Department IV "Intrastate Conflict" is, as of March/April, 2021, seeking
a PostDoc (m/f/d) (100%)
in salary scale E 13 TV-H, for three years (under the terms of the WissZVG).
This position is for a postdoctoral scholar who will collaborate in the project on “Police Use of Deadly Force in Democracies: the Philippines and Brazil”, financially supported by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.
You will implement the case study on lethal police violence in Brazil, with a focus on patterns of and explanations for spatial and temporal variation on the state-level.
Your responsibilities include:
- Research and analysis of state-level data on lethal police violence in Brazil;
- extended field research in several Brazilian states with a specific focus on state-level political determinants of police use of deadly force (role of state governors; penal populism);
- participation in the work of the research department and publication activities for PRIF’s current research program “Coercion and Peace”, in particular with regard to intra-state conflict-dynamics;
- development of the Institute’s national and international networks.
In addition, we expect willingness to cooperate on an interdisciplinary basis and to communicate research results to the political and social public as well as participation in the committees of PRIF’s self-administration.
The applicant should fulfill the following requirements:
- At least a very good doctorate in political science, sociology or another relevant discipline;
- proven research on political violence and research experience in Brazil;
- good knowledge of current academic debates in this topic area;
- good knowledge of qualitative and/or quantitative social science methods;
Very good command of Brazilian Portuguese and English, spoken and written, as well as competent handling of standard office software are prerequisites. Knowledge of German is not a prerequisite, but it is expected that the applicant shows willingness to try to acquire basic German language skills. For further information on the project, please consult https://www.hsfk.de/en/research/projects/democracy-beyond-legitimate-coercion-deadly-use-of-force-by-the-police-in-the-philippines-and-brazi/.
PRIF is a winner of the Total E-Quality award and seeks to promote work/life balance.
In the case of equal qualification, applicants with severe disabilities will be given preference.
Please send your application documents including a motivation letter, a complete CV, certificates and one or two informative samples of your work by September 15, 2020 via e-mail to bewerber(at)hsfk.de. Please include the position code “4.Brazil” Unfortunately, application expenses cannot be reimbursed.