As a member of the Leibniz Association the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF) supports open, online, and barrier-free access to scientific research results and therefore has adopted an Open Access Policy.
The publication series of PRIF are all open access (with one exception): the publications are accessible through the PRIF website, through the Social Science Open Access Repository (SSOAR) of GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences as well as the Open Access Portal of the Leibniz Association LeibnizOpen.
PRIF's Open Access Policy
According to its constitution the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF) seeks to introduce the “findings of peace and conflict research to the public and in particular seeks to bring them into effect in political education”. Following this mission, PRIF supports the open access of scientific research results online.
The objective of open access is to digitally provide access to research knowledge at any given time online without financial, technical and legal barriers. Thereby, increasing the visibility and public utilization of research results. As a member of the Leibniz Association, PRIF adheres to the “Guidelines on Open Access in the Leibniz Association” and the “Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities”.
PRIF encourages and supports its academic staff with the publication of research results according to the open access principle:
- The publication of research results can ensue directly as an open access initial release (“the golden road”) or as a secondary release (“the green road”).
- PRIF's publications formats [with the exception of HSFK-Studien] are freely accessible through the PRIF website, the Social Science Open Access Repository (SSOAR) of GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences as well as the Open Access Portal of the Leibniz Association LeibnizOpen. The publications are placed under a corresponding free user's license (Creative Commons-License).
- For scientific works, that are not directly published in an Open Access format, PRIF advises its staff to verify and complement the publishing contract as well as to publish a subsequent secondary release within an institutional repository as SSOAR.
- Within the scope of its abilities PRIF provides its academic staff with the financial infrastructure for open access publications.
- Scientific knowledge is often based on the analysis of scientific data. In order to verify and reproduce their own research results PRIF supports its scientist by ensuring the availability of their research data on respective digital platforms.
PRIF's Open Access Policy is decided by the Executive Board as well as the Research Council and is evaluated and revised regularly.